Whether you wish to brighten the darkened spaces outside your home for security reasons, illuminate the walkways to your house, or simply show-off your beautiful garden, solar powered security and motion lights may be the product for you.
They are an eco-friendly way of illuminating the outside areas of your home at night, that is also cheap, easy to install, and versatile (because they are powered by the sun, they don’t need wiring, so you can hang them pretty much anywhere).
Picking the right light for you can be tricky though, with loads of different models on the market, and so this review article has been written to help make your decision a bit easier.
How do solar security motion lights work though? Essentially, you hang them up around the outside of your house where they absorb sunlight during the day and convert it into energy that can be used to power LED lights at night.
As for the motion part, they come with Passive Infra-Red (PIR) sensors which are configured to automatically light up when they detect any infra-red heat motion within their sensor range (and they automatically switch on at dusk and off at dawn). If there is no more movement detected for a certain period of time, they switch off of their own accord.
Made up of a dozen powerful LEDs, and supporting a motion angle of 120 degrees, the Wireless Solar Motion Sensor Night Lights produce up to 400 lumens of ultra-bright light, sufficient to turn a pitch black room into a vibrantly lit space. It’s a perfect choice for dimly lit driveways, yards, gardens and stairwells.
Configured to operate only at night, this solar security light is also motion-sensitive, so that it turns on as soon as motion is detected, and turns off after 30 seconds of no further movement. It’s solar powered and eco-friendly: no wires, all you need is exposure to the sun, in fact only 3-5 hours of sunlight are needed to fully charge the battery!
What’s more, the battery can store the power for over 12 hours, so that these solar powered security lights operate just as well during winter too. This led solar security light is easy to install, waterproof, and durable because of the solid plastic construction that is capable of withstanding years of usage. It’s an excellent buy, we recommend it.
- Solar powered: Sunlight is absorbed by the solar panel of these solar powered motion lights and transformed into electricity. No wires, no need to hook it up to the electricity grid.
- Battery: this solar led security light is charged by exposing during the day. Its heavy-duty, rechargeable 1200mAh Lithium-ion battery can then store the power for over 12 hours working time at night.
- The light consists of 8, 16, 20 powerful LEDs with a motion angle of 120 degrees which can provide excellent illumination and turn the dark space into a bright lighted space. Bright enough to light up to 10 feet around the lights.
- No Dim Mode: light only activated after movement is detected in dark. After lighting around 30 seconds, it turns off automatically and leaves total darkness.
- Simple to use and install. Use the supplied key pin and mounting hardware to switch the solar motion sensor light on and hang it up wherever you fancy.
- Durable and waterproof: This solar security light is waterproof and durable, its specifically designed to withstand heavy outdoors use. No fear of rain or storm with this solar motion security light! The on/off switch is hidden in a hole designed to be waterproof. Only accessible using the supplied key pin.
- Provides a high level of brightness (up to 400 lumens)
- Waterproof and durable – provides light come rain, hail or sunshine!
- Charges phenomenally quickly (3-5 hours) and stores energy well
- Easy to install: these solar powered outdoor security lights are extremely easy to mount with hardware and double-sided tape included in the kit.
- Small and discrete – won’t be a blight on your garden or house exterior.
- Some reviewers on Amazon claim this solar powered motion sensor light is too bright – blinding, almost – and the device doesn’t come with a blinder or reflector. You have to be very careful where, and how high/low you mount it.
- You are not able to adjust the sensitivity of the solar motion security light sensor, or the intensity of light generated: there is no dimming mode.
Hopefully, this lights provides the requirements you are looking for, and this article makes your purchasing decision easier. Get that extra peace of mind and security you’ve been looking for, and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time, with an outdoor solar lighting system!